Cayman Islands Food
Spicy and Delicious
Cayman Islands Food has been influenced first by Jamaica
their first colonizers and then by the British which stayed in he Cayman until
The three islands Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Cayman
Brac are located south of Cuba, west of Jamaica and east of Honduras. They are
lovely islands, very British and Caribbean at the same time.
Tropical Fruits and Vegetables of Cayman Food
Ingredients of Cayman Islands Food
Like many Caribbean Islands they grow all kind of products
that are almost the same for all of them.
- They have a great range of citrus fruits like oranges,
lemons, limes, pineapples, grapefruits plus bananas and plantains, sweet
potatoes, yams and mangoes.
- Vegetables abound such as cassava, yellow squash, avocados,
calabash, spring onions, tomatoes, peas, chili peppers and callaloo which is
some kind of Caribbean spinach
- Being small islands surrounded by the waters of the
Caribbean, fish is one of their main foods, like Tuna, Snapper, mackerel and
- And of course, some sea foods like Turtles, conch which is a
large mollusk, lobster and many more. Locals like spicy food and they use
hundreds of species in their cooking.
Typical Cayman Islands Jerk Chicken with rice and beans
Main Dishes of the Cayman Islands Food
Jerk chicken is definitely Jamaica. The chicken is marinated
with Jerk sauce and try it only if you like hot spicy food. I warned you….
Ackee and Salt fish is definitely a dish of Jamaica Food,
ackee is a red round fruit used a lot in Jamaica and served usually with Salt
Banana Ketchup is a condiment also used in St Lucia and
Jamaica made of banana and used as ketchup.
Breadfruit is a large fruit or maybe a vegetable eaten fried
or cooked. It is also popular in Asian Tropical countries.
Callaloo is a heavy potage of green leaves steamed or
boiled. This is a dish typical to Trinidad Food.
Cayman Islands Food
Cayman Islands delicious Rundown stew
- Rundown is a stew is a slowly cooked stew made of seafood
and fish together with breadfruit, cassava and yam, mixed with many species.
- Cassava Bread is bread made of cassava or yucca usually
served with meals.
- Conch Chowder is a heavy soup made of conch and vegetables.
- Jamaican Beef Patties are hamburger like patties with curry
flavor eaten an aperitif or main dish.
- Oxtail is a heavy soup or stew made with the tail of the ox.
- Mangu is the most typical dish of Dominican Republic Food
imported by the Caymanians made of green plantain and served for breakfast.
- Rice and beans like in the rest of the Caribbean Countries
but here it’s cooked with coconut milk.
- Rice and Beans (Cayman Style) - Rice cooked with coconut
milk, beans, and various spices.
Cayman Style Fish
- Turtle stew is made of the meat of the green sea turtle
seasoned with species.
- Steamed or Fried Cabbage seasoned with many species,
especially Scotch Bonne Pepper.
- Cracked conch is made as a breaded cutlet.
- Coconut Shrimp Turtle Steak is very popular in the Islands.
It is served with mango marmalade and spices.
- Coconut dinner is a typical stew made of beef or fish cooked
in coconut milk.
- Mango chicken is made of chicken coconut milk, mango, eggs
garlic and pepper.
Made in Cayman Islands and World-renowned Tortuga Rum
Cayman Islands Food Desserts
- Tortuga Cayman Island Rum Cake is made of yellow cake mix,
vanilla pudding, walnuts, eggs, and Tortuga Rum.
- Cayman fruit cake is made of fruits soaked in rum, cake wine
- Cassava Cake or Heavy Cake is made with cassava or yam and
- Grand Cayman Island Rum Cake is made with chopped pecans,
dark rum, eggs, flour and vegetable oil.
For more information visit the Cayman Islands Official Tourism Website
images for cayman islands food
courtesy of wikimedia commons
From Cayman Islands Food go to Caribbean Cuisine
Go to Caribbean Countries
Go to Tuchman Travel Guide Home Page
Copyright Tuchman Travel Guide 2012 - 2018