Among the Best in Latin America
Chilean Food is influenced by the many regions of the
country. Chile in South America is a long country covering many latitudes on a
4,300 Km shoreline.
One of the main ingredients of Chilean Cuisine is the diversity
of seafood and of course all dishes accompanied by excellent wines red and
Chile is one of the most progressive countries in South
America. The Capital of Chile Santiago is a bustling city with close to seven
Chilean Cazuela is a delicious Chilean Stew
Typical Chilean Dishes
This is a homemade stew with the main ingredient being beef,
although chicken, lamb or pork can be a substitute. It also has corn, pumpkin
This meat and vegetable soup can be found in all Latin
American Cuisine including my native Cuba. The Chilean version is made with
meat leftovers cut into dice, adding potatoes, chopped onions, green hot chili
peppers, parsley, salt, pepper, cumin and oregano.
Spanish for conger stock is a Chilean fish dish. The dish is
made of congrio Colorado or red conger, an eel species, onion, garlic,
coriander, carrots and pepper.
Caldillo de Congrio Spanish for conger stock is a Chilean
Like in the rest of South America they are just delicious.
They are made of chopped beef, black olives, hard-boiled eggs and raisins on
very special dough.
It is a traditional Chilean dish from the countryside, a
hearty stew of pinto beans, vegetables, and sausage. Nowadays spaghetti noodles are the
"reins" in this nourishing soup.
Charquican very popular in Chilean Food
- Charquican is a spicy Chilean Stew
Charqui is a special Chilean jerky sauce. It is dry meat
- Stuffed Potatoes a la Chilena
This can be a main or side dish very popular in the south of
Chile. The resemble croquetas with different fillings.
In Spanish Pastel de Choclo, is made with mashed corn filled
with beef or chicken or both and made in the oven on a large pan.
This spicy sauce, made mainly of cilantro is a staple with
all “Asados” or Chilean BBQ. Not to be compared with the Argentinean
Arrollado huaso - Pork roll Chilean peasant style
Pork roll Chilean peasant style is a popular dish of the
South that includes pork meat pulp, slices of bacon, garlic, pepper and cumin
to taste; all this rolled in pork skin.
- Carbonada is a very traditional winter stew of the
It is a very traditional winter stew of the Chilean cuisine.
It is prepared with potatoes, pumpkin, carrots, green beans and varied
seasonings, plus meat cut into small pieces. It is called the Beef of the Poor man but is just delicious.
"Bistec a lo Pobre" typical Chilean Food
Many more dishes of the Chilean Cuisine
- Bistec a lo pobre - beefsteak, French fries, fried onions,
topped with a couple of fried eggs.
- Chancho en Piedra - a typical Chilean seasoning. Tomatoes,
garlic, and onions grounded together in a stone.
- Cazuela de Ave - chicken soup with pieces of meat, potatoes,
green beans or peas, rice or noodles.
- Cazuela de Vacuno - beef soup with pieces of meat, potatoes,
corn on the cob, carrots, onions, green beans, garlic, chunks of pumpkin, rice
- Costillar de Chancho - baked spare (pork) ribs.
- Empanada de Pino - typical turnover (pastry) filled with
diced meat, onions, olive, raisins and a piece of hard-boiled egg, baked in
earthen or plain oven.
- Empanada de Queso - typical turnover filled with cheese.
- Ensalada a la Chilena - sliced tomatoes and onions with an
Chilean Humitas are similar to the Cuban Tamales
- Humitas is a typical Chilean Food dish made boiled corn leaf rolls filled with seasoned ground corn.
- Milcaos - grated raw potato squeezed until dry then added to minced cooked potatoes and flattened to a bread-like form then baked or fried.
- Palta Reina - an avocado half which is filled with tuna fish or ham and covered with mayonnaise. It is served on lettuce leaves, normally as an entree.
- Parrillada - different kinds of meat, sausages and sometimes entrails grilled over charcoal and served with potato salad or rice.
- Pollo Arvejado - chicken served with peas, onion and sliced carrots.
- Porotos Granados - fresh bean dish with ground corn and pieces of pumpkin served hot.
- Sopaipilla - a flat circular deep fried 'bread' made of pumpkin and flour.
- Pastel de Jaiva - Chilean Crab Pie served in its own shell.
Manjar is the typical Chilean Food Dulce de Leche
Typical Chilean Desserts
- Manjar – Dulce de Leche a brown spread or cake filling made
from boiled milk and sugar. Some visitors say it tastes like caramel. Manjar is
quite sweet and is used in many cakes and sweet dishes.
- Alfajor - a flat round pastry filled with manjar and covered
- Arroz con Leche - rice pudding (literally rice with milk)
- Bavarois de Lucuma - type of custard of a variety of
- Berlin - a round donut filled with manjar or jam / jelly
Chilean Calzones Rotos Dessert
- Calzones Rotos - literally is sweet, soft dough that is twisted and then fried. Sometimes icing sugar is sprinkled on top.
- Chumbeque is a sweet dish from Iquique in northern Chile
- Kuchen - a german fruit flan often found in the South of Chile.
- Leche Asada - a milk flan.
- Mote con Huesillo - cooked dried peaches and stewed corn served as a drink.
- Pan de Pascua - christmas cake.
- Papaya con Crema - preserved papaya with whipped cream.
- Chilean Cocadas - crunchy outside and the soft, sweet inside.
For more information visit Chile Tourism Website
images for chilean food are courtesy of wikimedia commons
From Chilean Food go to World Cuisine
Go to Travel South America
Go to Tuchman Travel Guide Home Page
Copyright Tuchman Travel Guide 2012 - 2018
Site Map About Us Share your Story Blog Contact Us Disclaimer