As Varied as the Countries Are
This page about European Cuisine is just a summary of the
Top Dishes of some of the countries. In further articles we will be more
specific of each country or province.
Here I am mentioning the most known
cuisines in Europe and please understand that these countries have regions or
provinces with different recipes.
French Boeuf Bourguignon Beef Stew
braised in red wine
French Cuisine is perhaps the most internationally
recognized from all of them. There is no city in the planet that won’t feature
a French Restaurant. Here are a few of the most renowned dishes
- Soupe à l'oignon – Traditional
French Onion Soup
- Cheese – The greatest diversity in
- Boeuf Bourguignon – Beef Stew
braised in red wine
- Chocolate soufflé – Nobody should
miss this ndessert
- Flamiche – Pie filled with cheese
- Salade nicoise – Salada of lettuce,
fresh tomatoes, boiled eggs, canned tuna,.
- Confit de canard – Tasty duck legs
- Tarte tatin – Apple pie
- Ratatouille – Consist of tomatoes,
garlic, onions, zucchini, eggplant, carrots, bell peppers, basil, marjoram,
thyme and other green herbs.
- Wine – French wine is served with
your meal, with cheese, or just sitting down and enjoying the moment.
Croatian Međimurska Gibanica fruit and fresh cheese layered cake
There are big differences between the recipes of the
mainland and the ones in the Dalmatian Coast and islands. The mainland ones
have a Slavic influence and from the neighboring Hungary and Austria, while the
coastal cuisine has a definite Italian and more specific Venetian influence.
- Pršut – Is a dry-cured ham, famous
in any kind of celebration in Croatia
- Paški sir – This is a special
- Ispod peke – Is a special stone
oven cooking, the ingredients are left to cook slowly
- Pašticada – Is a traditional Dalmatian
- Crni rižot – Also called Black
Riceor black risotto with cuttlefish and squid
- Riba na gradele i blitva – Mixed
grilled fish paired with chard boiled with potatoes
- Brudet – is a fish stew
traditionally made in Istria and Dalmatia.
- Tartufi – Rare mushrooms said to
have Aphrodisiac powers
- Fuži i pljukanci – This is a
homemade pasta traditional from Istria.
- Janjetina s ražnja – Lamb on the
spit, is the most popular method of preparing lamb in Croatia.
gibanica - Fruit and fresh cheese layered cake from Medjimurje county, northern
Typical British Fish and Chips
There are many varieties according to the region they come
from, like England Scotland and Wales. Some of the most recognized are:
- Fish and Chips
- Roast Beef
- Steak and Kidney Pie
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Bangers and Mash
- Cornish Pasties
- Yorkshire pudding
- Arbroath Smokie
- Welsh cakes
- Cullen Skink
- Sausage and Mash
- Rhubarb and Custard
- Fish Pie
Moussaka - The most widely
recognized of all Greek dishes
This is the best example of the typical Mediterranean
Cuisine so well imitated by many countries including my home country Israel.
Some dishes here are called different names but many come from Greek influence
- Moussaka - The most widely
recognized of all Greek dishes, this oven-baked casserole of layered eggplant
and spiced meat filling
- Tiropites - Phyllo Cheese
- Baklava – Classic Greek pastry
made with flaky phyllo dough layered with a cinnamon-spiced nut filling, and
bathed in sweet syrup.
- Horta Vrasta - Boiled Leafy Greens,
packed with nutrients and flavor, these greens will compliment any meal. Serve
with a drizzle of olive oil and a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Chicken Soup Avgolemono - Traditional
chicken soup finished with a creamy egg-lemon flavor
- Tzatziki - Creamy Cucumber-Yogurt
- Pastitsio - Pasta, meat filling,
and a creamy béchamel sauce
- Galaktoboureko - Custard Phyllo
- Fassolatha - Classic White Bean
- Spanakopita - Spinach Pie
Italian Ossobuco – Leg of lamb or pork
with pasta or vegetables
In my humble opinion this food is the most delicious of all.
Who doesn’t like pasta accompanied with any other plate. I am sure that it is
eaten in any home in the world. The Italian influence in food is great.
- Chicken parmigiana - Anything
breaded and deep-fried with melted cheese is going to be a hit.
- Ossobuco – Leg of lamb or pork
served with pasta or vegetables
- Fettuccine alfredo - One of the
heavier Italian sauces, sticks best to wide noodles like fettuccini.
- Lasagna - The best lasagnas
include plenty of ground beef, sausage, ricotta, mozzarella and parmesean
- Linguine with clam sauce - The
best examples of this dish come in a garlic and oil sauce and use whole clams
- Veal Marsala - Wine sauce is
loaded with mushrooms and scallions.
- Chicken Saltimbocca - combines a
meat, such as chicken, with prosciutto ham, spinach, and mozzarella cheese.
- Pasta primavera - Includes any
combination of vegetables over pasta in a variety of sauces.
- Shrimp fra diavolo - Red sauce
relies on crushed red pepper and garlic.
- Penne alla vodka - A mixture of
marinara and a cream sauce with basil and a shot of vodka
- Spaghetti with tomato sauce - This
dish is simple, has a number of options to add, including meatballs, mushrooms,
broccoli, sausage, or ground beef.
Cochinillo Asado or Roast Suckling
Pig is eaten everywhere in Spain
It has influenced the dishes of all Latin American
Countries. Like in any big countries the dishes vary by region sometimes with
big differences. We have to remember that the Iberia Peninsula was populated by
tribes from very different origins coming from the north like the Basque or the
south like the Andalusian. Here are the most known dishes
- Tortilla Española - Spanish Omelet
and if it is made of potatoes it is called Tortilla de patatas.י
- Gazpacho - Andalusian Cold Tomato
Soup made of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, oil and vinegar. It can be served in
a bowl as a soup or a tall glass as a beverage
- Paella de Marisco - Spanish
Seafood Rice Recipe is the most nenowned dish of Spain. It has many variations
according to regions including the vegetarian one.
- Alioli Sauce - Garlic Mayonnaise
- Empanadas - Galician Turnover or
Pasties when small they are called Empanadillas. Very popula also in Latin America
- Gambas al Ajillo - Shrimp in
- Cordero Asado - Roast Lamb this is
the favorite dish in the central region of Castilla
- Cochinillo Asado or Roast Suckling
Pig is eaten everywhere in Spain, but Segovia is famous for this dish.
- Fabada Asturiana - Simple Asturian
Bean and Sausage Casserole
- Spanish Tomato Sauce - Sofrito –
Made of tomatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers and olive oil sautéed in a
For more information go to Food.com
The Kalops a Classical Swedish Dish
In following pages of European Cuisine we are elaborating the following:
Czech Cuisine and many more…
European Cuisine is much more than these few countries
mentioned. I will elaborate many more as this site grows. If you want to help
me sending me a recipe of your country I will gladly publish it.
Image credits for European Cuisine
cochinillo by tamonlann
medimerska by silverije
boeuf by veronique pagnier
mussaka by saintfevrier
courtesy of wikimedia commons
From European Cuisine go to Hungarian Cuisine
Go to Galician Cuisine
Go to Italian Cuisine
Go to Tuchman Travel Guide Home Page
Site Map About Us Share your Story Blog Contact Us Disclaimer