There are many things to do in Santorini. This is in my opinion the prettiest of the Greek Islands. It is a matter of taste. I hope some of my readers will agree with me.
All the clients I have sent to the island on their Santorini Vacations have been forever grateful.
It is part of the Cyclades Islands of the southern Aegean Sea. The island is also known as Thera or Thira in Greek.
The island features the municipality of Thira, a small village called Oia and an offshore little island called Thirasia or Therasia, besides a few small uninhabited isles.
Greek Orthodox Chapel in the town of Oia in Santorini
The island was formed by a huge volcanic eruption that destroyed what once was a single island, leading to the actual archipelago of small islands.
The island of Santorini is surrounded totally by the Aegean Sea and what makes the island unforgettable are the big cliffs as high as 300meters coming down dramatically into the Sea.
The capital city of Fira seats majestically on the top of the cliff.
The town of Fira, the Capital, offers many things to do in Santorini
The sand color of the beaches depends on the different geological origins.
There are white beaches, grey and black beaches of solidified lava, red beaches.
The waters are blue and warm; it is said because the lava acts as an absorbent of heat.
Villages and beaches and things to do in Santorini
• Fira is the capital and stands on a stunning cliff.
It is somewhat overcrowded.
• Kamari, the black pebble beach
• Firostefani where you can see the volcano and enjoy the spectacular sunsets.
• Imerovigli is a resort town very close to Fira.
From here the stunning sunsets are not to be missed.
• Oia or Ia – It is probably the most charming place on the island.
• Pyrgos is the highest point on the island. It features a picturesque monastery
• Perissa is the place for good Fish Greek taverns and a nice beach.
• Megalochori is a traditional village with a many old white churches in the Cycladic style.
For more information visit the Greece Tourism Board
The Church of Saint Athena in Santorini
• Monolithos ia nice beach good for families with children due to its shallow waters. It also features a few good taverns.
• Vlichada is the place to enjoy solitude on the beach near this small village.
• Vothonas is a small rock village; the houses are carved from the rock with a lot of creativity.
• Thirasia is a village on the nearby island with the same name.
Vedema Resort Santorini
oia church by karkanne
fira by hans peter schaefer
st athena church by klearchos kapotsis
All courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
The resorts images are courtesy of the resorts mentioned.
Copyright Tuchman Travel Guide 2012 - 2018